
Ohara Shoson 1926 woodblock print
We have no television. Instead, on a cupboard where the family telly ought to be, we have Bruce, our goldfish, in an aquarium. Occasionally, one of the kiddos' friends will inquire as to where we keep our set. Last night we lingered for an extra hour around the dinner table thinking up names of television shows that could be replaced with something, er, fishy. We came up with dozens. Yes, we are very competitive. Yes, we voted. 3rd place was Fish Steves' Europe. 2nd place was Fish Eye for the Straight Guy. 1st place went to the young man below for Desperate Fishwives.

Intellectually curious
"Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail!
See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance:
They are waiting on the shingle - will you come and join the dance?"
~Lewis Carroll (pseudonym of Charles L. Dodgson)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Fiercely competitive
What's your favorite telefishion show?
Go fishing. Delight in your family. Call your mother.
16 comments:
Ahh, Sunday evening we do watch television with the kids. We enjoy laughing through America's Fishiest Home Videos and often crying through Exterme Makeover: Aquarium Edition.
We will have to keeps our eyes open and take a peek at your favorite fishy shows. Thanks for the heads up.
We get all our news from "60 Fishes" and "The Fishing Show with John Stewart"
Our favorite Prime Time shows are "Ugly Fishy" and "Fish Whisperer"
Our "Fish-scovery" favorites are "Fish Buster" and "Surgery Saved My Fish"
On the History Channel we love "Street Fish: A Secret History",
"History of The Fishmasons", "Fish Fish Fish: The Real Story Of Pearl Harbor", "Fish: History in a Bowl" and we most certainly do not want to miss the Special "The Apostle Paul: The Man Who Fished The World Upside-Down"
OXOX
I have not watched TV since F*I*S*H went off the air. I do watch movies in my kitchen when I'm working in there alone, though.
I watch the "Fishsons" and "The Fishy Show with Jon Stewart". Oh, and the "FishPranos", a fascinating show about undersea organized crime.
I love your funny family.
Miz S
The sun was shining on the sea,
Shining with all his might:
He did his very best to make
The billows smooth and bright--
And this was odd, because it was
The middle of the night.
Night or day- I love hearing about the dinner hour at Babette's. Makes for a feast (of oysters? And that fish!! Rich can't wait- I showed him this picture)
I guess Desperate Fishwives is indeed the winner, although , I too like Fish Eye. :-)
Our favorite telefishion of late is discussing Abby's impending trip to Africa. I'm the queen of field guides so we are going through some of those.
I call her at least once a day.
From my childhood . . . Soupy Scales. One of my wife's favorites right now would be The Gillmore Girls.
Love the fish show names! My favorite is LOST ... Could it be renamed "The One That Got Away?" That doesn't have "fish" in the title, but I think it would work for the fish theme! :)
I'm very unoriginal. I like "Aquarium" (House).
By the way, I would love to be able to call my mother. I can't, so I call my daughter.
This is a mighty fishy post. Did you do this on porpoise???
I would have had to vote for Desperate Fishwives as a winner!
Peyton Plaice
The Cod Couple
F*I*S*H
Carp on a Hot Tin Roof
The Codfather (I, II & III)
Schindler’s Fish
The Grapes of Wrass
Rebel Without a Cod
Close Encounters of the Fish Kind
The Fish Hunter
3rd Hake from the Sun
Buffalo Brill
Eel Street Blues
I could go on... but the barrel has been scraped enough!
www.fasteddiesbullet.com
Allo, les amies, mais oui. Thanks for the offer of 50 cents. I'm going to send it in pennies.
Hey, I looked up Babette's Feast on the internet the other day. I think I'll have to order it to see what this woman is all about. :-)
My favorite childhood shows were:
My Friend Fishy
The Lone Salmon
Rin Fin Fin
Nyssa calls when she is wanting something or is sick and thinks she is dying. (she has a bit of the drama queen in her personality, but she gets that from her dad) I call her to check in once a week... she is so busy this time of year.
I call my mom each morning... to get out of bed.
Okay, miss B, how does an adorable family without a television keep up with a certain football team?
This fishwife is desperate to know.
I watch Grey's Aquarium and The Offish.
We were allowed six hours a week growing up. We each chose two of those hours. We watched Little Fish On the Ferry, The Walruses (you know, "Goodnight Fish-boy), The Muppet Show....
We lived in an apartment buidling. I caught all the good PBS shows at the neighbors everynight. : )
One time I got caught watching an old television in the building basement. I was a dead fish.
Raehan ~ These Muppets are part of SASHIMI STREET, oui?
Regarding MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY football: SPARTANS find a way!
Like Raehan, I watch Gray's Aquatomy, 'cuz of all those sexy sturgeons.
Congrats to the Michigan State Spartans hockey squad, one of the Frozen Four teams competing for a national title this week.
Go Green! Go White!! Today is probably the only day I can say that. :)
Post a Comment