Some things can only be explained from the hidden regions of the heart. Les petits bonheurs are all the little things that make each day a miracle. May I share my feast with you?

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mamma Mia!

A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
~Irish Blessing

Photobucket
Guardian Angel by Heilige Schutzengel

When one's child grows up and leaves home there is a hole in the heart and continual prayers for that dear young adult. Our eldest is a heroine to our family, always lifting our spirits and giving us hope with her cheery countenance and positive, hard-working attitude. It turns out that she suffered a huge scare yesterday and ended up saving a coworker's life. I only wish I could get in touch and offer hugs, tea and sympathy. I must wait patiently until we can connect. A daughter knows her mother always has her in her thoughts, n'est-pas?



I have a lovely memory of attending Mamma Mia with my dear daughter while visiting her in the first big city where she worked. I was, and am, so proud of her successes, abilities, and spunk! I was not quite able to hold back tears during Slipping Through My Fingers:

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning,
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile.
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while.
The feeling that I'm losing her forever,
And without really entering her world,
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter-
That funny little girl.

Slipping through my fingers all the time,
I try to capture every minute,
The feeling in it...
Slipping through my fingers all the time.
Do I really see what's in her mind?
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing...
Slipping through my fingers all the time.

Sleep in our eyes, she and I at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by.
Then when she's gone there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can't deny.
What happened to the wonderful adventures,
The places I had planned for us to go?
Slipping through my fingers all the time...
Well, some of that we did, but most we didn't,
And why I just don't know.

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time.
Slipping through my fingers...
Slipping through my fingers all the time.
~ABBA

Call your mamma whenever you are able. There is no "frozen zone" in my heart!

Photobucket
Night with her Train of Stars by Edward Robert Hughes

16 comments:

Gail said...

You have a loving, strong, capable daughter, Bonnie. An extra prayer for you while you wait to hear from her. *hugs*

Margaret said...

She is very accomplished, but I know that you would love her even if she weren't. Slipping away kind of describes it our children growing up and away--but with a long tether that just stretches. I don't think the bond ever truly breaks.Hope you get in contact with her soon, and can find out all the details.

kenju said...

I hope you can hear from her soon.

That is a wonderful poem,and it brought tears to my eyes as I remember the days when each of my three left home to go to college. I am luckier than lots of moms; my children contact me often. I am so very grateful for that and for their ongoing friendship.I genuinely enjoy being with my adult children, as I am sure you do too.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

And just think, you only get to do this 10 more times? Hope you don't run out of poetry.

Anonymous said...

Hoss makes me laugh.

I don't cry easily due to my MEDICATION, but I got a little choked up when I read this. Hope everything is okay.

Philip said...

Hmm, we are thinking the same way lately. Very lovely post.

Big Dave T said...

The fact that your daughter can be a heroine apart from you shows that you and Mr. B. have done your job well. Better independent than not.

BTW, I'm a political moderate but I used to "play" a liberal on the internet. I used to be pretty good at getting some kind of reaction out of folk. Don't know why.

Hea, at the Taquamenon Falls, they sell a maize 'n blue color shirt with the lettering "Friends don't let friends be State fans." Think Hoss would like one?

kenju said...

Thanks for the visit, Bonnie. No, I am not familiar with the GOOP books. How would I look for them?
If they'd be good for my grandchildren, I do want to know about them!

Babette said...

Judy~

The Goops are over 100 years old, yet they have a website and a blog!

www.The Goops.com

The Goops they lick their fingers,
The Goops they lick their knives,
They spill their broth on the tablecloth-
Oh, they lead disgusting lives!

The Goops they talk while eating,
And loud and fast they chew,
And that is why I'm glad that I
Am not a Goop - are you?

I'm certain that your grandchildren are NOT goops! ;~)

~Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I was sort of waiting for details- thinking maybe a hostage situation or EMS call or something- before commenting on this, beautiful cellists (who taunt and tease heartsick saxophone artists) and Mr. P's Ps- but that could be when Heaven freezes over. There was a tiny corner of the attic room at Lost Loon Lodge where I could get wi-fi for about ten moments each night and I was here...

Anonymous said...

P.S. Hoss makes ME laugh, too. She is lovely beyond words, per photos- I picked her out easily several times. Looks a bit like her mum and obviously, the beauty is more than skin deep. In other news, is there a baby in your vicinity yet?

Beverly said...

What a lovely post! I saw Mamma Mia for the first time about four years ago. I'd love to see it again. It's on my iPod.

Gail said...

I just stopped back by to see if there was any update. No update, but there is a new picture in the post. Don't keep me hanging, pleeease.

kenju said...

Ah, you'd be a wonderful movie date!! Too bad we don't live nearby each other.

Thanks so much for the visit!

April said...

Oh...my daughter is not at home this week, in fact she is with my mother and I miss her. But, she still emails and IM's me. I'm going to miss her terribly when she leaves home and I'm outnumbered by boys.

I love to hear the wisdom and words of mothers with older children. What a beautiful poem, I hope she reads it and gives you a call soon.

Anonymous said...

How lovely this post is, and how hard it must be not to be able to keep her safe and near.

We saw Mama Mia two weeks ago and it actually made me cry. Funny that you bring it up here.

About Me

My photo
I live on a forested mountain with my beloved husband and our large family. Less is more, except where children are concerned. My favorite pastimes are practicing yoga on my side deck, learning how to improvise on the cello, and boating into the Puget Sound with my sweetheart.