Some things can only be explained from the hidden regions of the heart. Les petits bonheurs are all the little things that make each day a miracle. May I share my feast with you?

Friday, April 06, 2007

It is finished.~John 19:30


Section of The Crucifixion triptych (Isenheim Altarpiece)
Matthias Grünewald, c.1475-1528

The cross reveals the power of God, which not only saves man, but also makes him holy. The Seven Last Words from the Cross:

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34
Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise. Luke 23:43
Behold thy son. Behold thy mother. John 19:26-27
My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me? Matthew 27:46
I thirst. John 19:28
It is finished. John 19:30
He commended His Spirit into the Hands of the Father. Luke 23:46

Deep in my heart, O Lord,
Your Name and cross alone
Lights up all time and space
Assures me of my home.
Reveal to me the cross
As comfort in all need,
That you, Lord Christ, so kind,
Have bled and died for me.

Blessed Good Friday.

8 comments:

Gail said...

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

Babette said...

Blessed Easter, Gail! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Bonnie! I am just catching up here now, after having a very busy week.

I have always liked Good Friday, although my tradition was always listening to Jesus Christ Superstar on Good Friday. Not something I can do so easily with two girls at my feet.

Big Dave T said...

My supervisor said yesterday that employees used to take two hours during the Good Friday workday to go to services. Don't see that anymore, he said.

Your little bird is right. I can put aside partisanship and cheer on another Michigan college when they're competing on the national stage. So go Spartan hockey! A Spartan alum, alluding to my magnanimity, said, "You clearly are closer to the big guy than I am." Nice of him to say that during Holy Week.

Melanie said...

Beautiful, meaningful pictures and words. May God bless you and your family this Easter season!

April said...

Babette! So glad to hear from you!

I used this image of Christ in a color project when I was in college. I'm not sure what my teacher thought when she saw it, but I've kept it all these years. The pose of his hands and the shadows resting deep in his ribs, what pain for a poor miserable wretch like me.

TulipGirl said...

Amen.



(And I'm glad to "find" you again.)

srp said...

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain
Free to all, a healing stream
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

One of my favorite hymns, especially this time of year.
Christ paid the debt of my sin with his death, but his resurrection and triumph over death is what gives us hope of eternal life as well.

Have a blessed Easter, Bonnie. On that mountain top you and your family will be able to have your own glorious sunrise service!

About Me

My photo
I live on a forested mountain with my beloved husband and our large family. Less is more, except where children are concerned. My favorite pastimes are practicing yoga on my side deck, learning how to improvise on the cello, and boating into the Puget Sound with my sweetheart.